Miguel filed a case at the Commission on Human Rights last March 15. Despite threats to his life and security, Miguel was at the forefront of the struggle to defend the rights and welfare of the people.
Labor leader Dandy Miguel was shot dead in Laguna province last Sunday night 28 March. According to initial reports, he was shot eight times while on his way home from work. Miguel’s killing came three weeks after nine activists were killed in simultaneous dawn operations called Bloody Sunday in the Southern Tagalog region south of Manila, where Laguna is located.
Miguel is a member of the KMU National Council, Vice Chairperson of regional chapter PAMANTIK-KMU and President of local union Lakas ng Nagkakaisang Manggagawa ng Fuji Electric – OLALIA- KMU.
Along with other union leaders and families of the Bloody Sunday victims, Miguel filed a case at the Commission on Human Rights last March 15. Despite threats to his life and security, Miguel was at the forefront of the struggle to defend the rights and welfare of the people.
Kilusang Mayo Uno condemns the brutal killing of Dandy Miguel. We call for justice for all victims of political killings! We call to stop all forms of human rights violations in the Philippines!
What you can do:
1. On March 29 at 5 PM Philippine standard time (UTC+08:00), Philippine organizations will be holding a nationally coordinated candle-lighting and indignation protest. We encourage the global community to join this action. Post pictures and statements on your individual and organizational social media pages with the hashtags #JusticeForDandyMiguel, #StopTheAttacks, and #HandsOffTradeUnionsPH, and tag our Facebook page (1. facebook.com/KMUinternational) and Twitter account (@kilusangmayouno). Actions may also be held from March 29-31, 2021.
2. Issue statements of condemnation on the killing of Dandy Miguel, and the continuing attacks on trade unions and human rights in the Philippines.
3. Write to the Philippines’ Supreme Court and Department of Justice to investigate the continuing trade union and human rights violations, including the recent killing of Dandy Miguel.
4. Petition the Philippine government to accept the International Labor Organization High-Level Tripartite Mission that could investigate the cases of trade union and human rights violations in the Philippines.
5. Lobby your respective governments to take action to urge the Duterte administration to respect human rights in the Philippines, and withdraw support and funding for the National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict (NTF-ELCAC).
6. Contribute to the legal and campaign funds of the Defend Our Unions Campaign.
Account Name: Kilusang Mayo Uno (KMU)
*Without the (KMU), the transaction will be invalid.
Type of Account: BDO Peso Account
Bank: Banco de Oro (BDO)
Bank branch: BDO Aurora Blvd.- Anonas
Account Number: 001490187039
Swift Code: BNORPHMM
Address: 63 Narra Street, Barangay Claro, Project 3, Quezon City
In a raid in the office of labor institution Workers' Assistance Center, police shot dead Manny Asuncion
After Duterte pronounced in a gathering his desire to kill all communists, state forces launched coordinated attacks against unionists and activists in Southern Tagalog. In separate operations in the provinces of Cavite, Laguna, Batangas and Rizal. Eight were arrested and five were killed on March 7, Sunday.
In a raid in the office of labor institution Workers' Assistance Center, police shot dead Manny Asuncion, Cavite provincial coordinator of Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) Cavite.
In Laguna, two unionists and a human rights worker were arrested.
Steve Mendoza, executive vice president of the Organized Labor Association in Line Industries and Agriculture (OLALIA KMU) was arrested in a dawn raid of his home in Cabuyao. Police forcibly entered by destroying the gate of the house.
Elizabeth "Mags" Camoral of BAYAN Laguna, and former union president of F-Tech was also arrested in the Defend Yulo Farmers headquarters in Cabuyao.
Nimfa Lanzanas of human rights group Kapatid-Timog Katagalugan, and a paralegal aide of political prisoners was arrested while she was with her grandchild.
Killed in Rizal were Michael Dasigao and Makmak of Sikkad Montalban. Two peasant leaders in Montalban, Rizal were also arrested today.
The whole family of fisherfolk leaders Chai Lemita-Evangelista, Ariel Evangelista, and 10-year old son Raymart Evangelista were arrested in their home in Nasugbu, Batangas. Later today, the bodies of Chai and Ariel were found dead, while their son was able to escape.
The spate of killings, arrests and other attacks presents a human rights emergency that merits the attention of the entire Filipino people and the international community. We call for support for the victims of the attacks on trade union and human rights.