Miguel filed a case at the Commission on Human Rights last March 15. Despite threats to his life and security, Miguel was at the forefront of the struggle to defend the rights and welfare of the people.
Labor leader Dandy Miguel was shot dead in Laguna province last Sunday night 28 March. According to initial reports, he was shot eight times while on his way home from work. Miguel’s killing came three weeks after nine activists were killed in simultaneous dawn operations called Bloody Sunday in the Southern Tagalog region south of Manila, where Laguna is located.
Miguel is a member of the KMU National Council, Vice Chairperson of regional chapter PAMANTIK-KMU and President of local union Lakas ng Nagkakaisang Manggagawa ng Fuji Electric – OLALIA- KMU.
Along with other union leaders and families of the Bloody Sunday victims, Miguel filed a case at the Commission on Human Rights last March 15. Despite threats to his life and security, Miguel was at the forefront of the struggle to defend the rights and welfare of the people.
Kilusang Mayo Uno condemns the brutal killing of Dandy Miguel. We call for justice for all victims of political killings! We call to stop all forms of human rights violations in the Philippines!
What you can do:
1. On March 29 at 5 PM Philippine standard time (UTC+08:00), Philippine organizations will be holding a nationally coordinated candle-lighting and indignation protest. We encourage the global community to join this action. Post pictures and statements on your individual and organizational social media pages with the hashtags #JusticeForDandyMiguel, #StopTheAttacks, and #HandsOffTradeUnionsPH, and tag our Facebook page (1. facebook.com/KMUinternational) and Twitter account (@kilusangmayouno). Actions may also be held from March 29-31, 2021.
2. Issue statements of condemnation on the killing of Dandy Miguel, and the continuing attacks on trade unions and human rights in the Philippines.
3. Write to the Philippines’ Supreme Court and Department of Justice to investigate the continuing trade union and human rights violations, including the recent killing of Dandy Miguel.
4. Petition the Philippine government to accept the International Labor Organization High-Level Tripartite Mission that could investigate the cases of trade union and human rights violations in the Philippines.
5. Lobby your respective governments to take action to urge the Duterte administration to respect human rights in the Philippines, and withdraw support and funding for the National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict (NTF-ELCAC).
6. Contribute to the legal and campaign funds of the Defend Our Unions Campaign.
Account Name: Kilusang Mayo Uno (KMU)
*Without the (KMU), the transaction will be invalid.
Type of Account: BDO Peso Account
Bank: Banco de Oro (BDO)
Bank branch: BDO Aurora Blvd.- Anonas
Account Number: 001490187039
Swift Code: BNORPHMM
Address: 63 Narra Street, Barangay Claro, Project 3, Quezon City